09458108339 / 09411695615
St. Joseph's Cathedral Meerut is situated 65km North of Delhi. It is a landmark in the Indian Political history and in the evangelical work of Catholic Church in North India. St. Joseph's Church was built by Begum Sumru of Sardhana in 1834.
The original documents about the beginning of the Church are not available. We have records of baptism etc. from 1845. After the mutiny the British Soldiers used to come to the Church fully armed for security reasons. Provisions made on the benches to keep their rifles can still be seen.
The church was enlarged and renovated in 1864; the belfry was put; up in 1872. the electrification of the church was done by the Government authorities in 1926. later on some major repairs and modifications were done. The Meerut Catholic Chaplains were appointed by the Arch Bishop of Agra, but they were paid by the Government till 1960.
In 1956 Diocese of Meerut was carved out from the Arch Diocese of Agra and Dr. J.B. Evangelisti O.F.M. Cap. was the frst Bishop of Meerut. Fr. Amadeus OFM Cap was then the Parish Priest of the St. Joseph's Cathedral. In 1950 Archbishop Vanni OFM Cap invited the Mission Sisters of Ajmer to open a house and a school in Meerut. On 1st May 1950 four Mission Sisters arrived and were housed in the premises of St. Joseph's Cathedral. Sophia School began in the residence of the Parish Priest. Within a few months the land on Bank Street was acquired for the Sophia Senior Secondary School (ISC).
In 1952 the Patrician Brothers were invited by the Bishop to open a Boys School. Thanks to the kindness of Fr. Amedeus, the Parish Priest, St. Mary's School also began in the church premises. The Senior Sec. School (ISC) now occupies a large beautiful area on Roorkee Road.
In 1953 Fr. Amedeus OFM (Cap) reopned St. Joseph's School (the earlier school opened at the end of the nineteenth century and was subsequently closed die to lack of finance). In the renovated servants quarters and the Mission Sisters of Ajmer helped to runt he school. In 1963 the Junior and High School was affiliated to the UP Board with Sr. Yvonne MSA as Manager, Sr. Terence Doyle as Principal and Sr. Scholastica, Sr. Victoria helping in te primary Schol. In 1966 the school was upgraded to High SChool and in 1975 to an Intermediate College. The school made great progress. Thnks to the devotion and expertise of Sr. Terence Doyle. In 1972 the Mission Sisters asked to be relieved of the Management of the school and Fr. Fredrick D'souza became the Manager. How ever two Mission Sisters are managing the Primary School todate. The beautiful school building was erected by Archbishop Bishop Evangelist OFM Cap. The present Principal Rev. Fr. Fredrick Rosario who manages the school very efficiently.
In 1987 the Mission Sisters of Ajmer opened the Hindi Medium School at Partapur a sub station of Meerut Parish. It was raised to a High School UP Board in 1991.
In 1975 the Missionaries of Charity (known as Mother Teresa's Sisters) started their apostolate. In 1981 they began a home for the destitute aged known as Prem Niwas. In 1987 they began a home for housing abandoned and destitute babies called Shishu Bhawan (Jyoti Niwas).
The CMI Fathers opened St. Joseph's Study House (Formation House) in 1973. The candidates do their intermediate at St. Inter College, Sardahana.
Meerut Seva Samaj, a Diocesan Social Service Centre, began in 1976 with Fr. Francis Borgia as the first Director of Social Work in Diocese. The Society was registered in 1977. Good work has been done. The Centre has now been shifted to Kanker Khera.
We are grateful for the services of the following Pairsh priests have rendered. Fr. Amedeus OFM Cap., Fr. Linus OFM Cap., Fr. Fredrick D'souza who later was consociated Bishop of Jhansi, Fr. Mathew Edatheel, Fr. Marcus Samuel, Fr. Freddy D'souza (Junior), Fr. Valarian Pinto and at present Fr. Mathew K.O. is the Parish Priest.
The St. Joseph's Cathdedral Parish gave birth to two parishes, St. Lukes' Parish at Saket in 1979 and St. Peter's parish at Kankerkhera in 1999.
St. Joseph's Cathderal has its Parish Council, Pastoral Council, Yuva Sangh, BCC, Legion of Mary, Altar Boys Association. The Mission Sisters and Missionaries of Charity help in BCC, Yuva Sangh, Sunday School.